Wednesday, March 14, 2012

IPFW Externship Program - A Students Perspective!

IPFW Externship Program: By Khin Phyu

How does anyone know what they really want to be when they grow up? How many of us are lucky enough to have it all figured out? College is about experiencing new things and figuring that out. Even if you do have it all figured out, maybe that’s not really what you want till you actually experience it. I think of this externship as an opportunity to find myself, as cliché as that sounds.

I always thought I would end up living in NYC and working at a big company, but after externing with Dan Swartz at the Downtown Improvement District, I’m starting to question my original decisions. I saw so much untapped potential and the only way it’s going to grow as a city is if younger people get more involved to help downtown transition into a new generation. I just feel like I could make more of a difference working in Fort Wayne compared to a big city now, and this externship was a big part of that discovery.

This externship also helped me see the things I could possibly be doing in my career field. You do more than just job shadowing; you get to actually walk in their shoes for a week and work on projects that they would do. I also did also of networking and met a lot of great people who could potentially be my employer in the future.

So to recap, I spent my 2012 spring break doing an externship where I learned a lot, met a lot of people, and made new goals to strive for. I think that’s a spring break well spent.


No comments:

Post a Comment