Friday, January 9, 2009

Job Security vs. Happiness

I found an article titled "They Left the Corporate Cocoon to Blossom" on CNN.com this morning. It profiles three people who left high-paying positions at large corporations to pursue their dreams. It got me to thinking about the role your values play in the career choices you make.

I must admit that job security is probably my number one work value, but, as this article illustrates and reminds us career counselors, it's not the number one work value for everyone. I think in these challenging economic times, we tend to think, though, that everyone values job security above everything else. However, this article shows how it doesn't have to, and makes some excellent points regarding how work values like challenging assignments, job satisfaction, and productivity at work can override the idea that we should stay in our current job no matter what, given the job market these days. Check it out: http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/01/08/jumping.ship/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment